Monday, January 26, 2015

Danger of Comparisons

Someone recently asked me since close friends of ours had a baby only a weeks before us, "Have y'all started the milestone competition yet?" My response, "No. The only milestone I am competing for is I hope my kid doesn't go the jail before his kid does."

I see little value in comparing Gunner to anyone else. In my mind, he will either be the best in the world at something or he will not be, and shame on me as a father if I don't make him feel like being the best world is an attainable feat. We will be proud of our accomplishments without ever resting on our laurels....that's what retirement is for and it sounds grand.

But think about how dangerous it is to compare things. Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift are not on the same level, despite what my wife and my Pandora station believe. Bruno rocks it like MJ did and you all know it. Frozen is not on the same level as Alladin or the Lion King. I like Frozen, but no one is naming their cat Olof (sorry Dad) when they can name him Mufasa (well done Marc). And the list goes on. Bruce Willis tops live action stars from Die Hard 1 and 3 alone. Lebron and Kobe will never come close to Jordan. "General Studies" and "English" shouldn't be college majors; it's like majoring in "Showing Up for Class" or "Breathing". If you disagree with anything stated above, you see my point on why it does little good to compare. Just enjoy things for what they are if they are worth enjoying.    

Then there is Gunner, our little ginger red devil. He is now walking holding on to stuff which I find somewhat miraculous due to the size of his body. I figure gravity for him must be a son of b**** to deal with. And of course, eating is rapidly becoming his forte....vegetable spinach fettuccine alfredo (scarfed), pizza (scarfed), turkey and cheese (scarfed), grits and fruit (scarfed), cinnamon rolls, yogurt, biscuits, you name it. It's now like a game for us. We are just giving him some of whatever we are eating or putting random items in front of him and like the fatty he is, he is plowing through. He will be the kid that eats his GI Joe and gets mad when he can't find it to play with it.

Some City Park fun in the sun with Senor Jose the Photographer...

Oh it's fun for him but Dad has to have his back MRI'd and XRay'd weekly now...

Chubby, naked, texting, and driving....very illegal combinations...

Smooth operator...

No comments:

Post a Comment