Sunday, February 15, 2015

Mardi Gras Tribute to My Brother

As Gunner approaches his first birthday, he has started to develop a behavior recently that throws up the red flag for all new parents, experienced parents, and non-kid having adults...the fussing when not allowed to have something or to go somewhere he wants. While I am proud he as identified this emotional connection and attempted communication, it does get old quick. Luckily as of now, he only grunts in frustration then does some weird humpback whale whine before moving on to his next interest. It is more comedy than drama....for now.

As the kid is becoming more understanding of communication, the need for effective parenting is close upon us. My wife has nothing to worry here. Me? I clearly have been faking it this whole time. There is very little skill required in changing a diaper, preparing a bottle at mealtime, cutting banana slices, or a riveting round of peek-a-boo. Now is when what is said and done is heard and repeated, and our behaviors will help determine his behaviors. And that is a lot of pressure for a new parent.

This week marks two years ago when I lost my brother. I think about him all the time but what I never expected was how strange the moments are when I miss him most; when something funny happens or when I'm having a hard time as a parent. I don't know why but it feels like we need the people we care about the most when we are feeling at our best or at our worst. Now, as Gunner starts to be a little man, I wish my brother could be around to help shape the kid's demeanor and behavior and help me not raise a sociopath child. It is amazing how of small successes and failures as a parent feel like our best and worst moments as a person. It is fair to say I am dreading this next phase of parenting without him.

This week is also Mardi Gras. Not sure why but Endymion has always been the parade for us. If we only go to one parade, it's Endymion. Only fitting, while Endymion was my brother's last good time, it was Gunner's first parade. And it was a good time. While we can't share everything with those we love, it is important we try to share whatever we can.


February 10th...In remembering my brother, Gunner had a "testify" moment at the Munch Factory over beef brisket and cheese grits...slightly over dramatic

 He just started standing up in his crib to screw with camera. Needless to say, we have now moved the camera...

 Walking to our first parade for Mardi Gras....all business...

Endymion on Orleans with the Maumus Family....and about 100 others friends...

No we didn't catch that bead...

No comments:

Post a Comment